Monday, December 12, 2011

Chocolate Bourbon Pecan Pie


I got this recipe from Tyler Florence on the Food Network. I have to say, it is unbelievable how easy it is to make such a complex and tasty pie. I am usually not a big pecan pie fan because it's normally just a tad too sweet for me.But the bourbon and the unsweetened chocolate in this recipe really help balance out the sweetness and I may have ended up eating a bit more of this pie than I should...Which is perhaps why the pictures in this particular post aren't quite as detailed as usual :p

So I do have to admit to cheating a bit... I used a Pillsbury refrigerated pie crust. I know, I should have made my own...but I was busy. And tired. And that crust is actually really good- it also stood up pretty well to the sugary pecan pie filling. But I would make sure you follow their tip and dust both sides with flour before popping it in the pan. 

Once you have it all set in your pie pan, flute the edges to make it pretty. Or just fold it over in a solid line around the edge. Whatever floats your boat:


Next comes the filling. Here is what you will need:


  • 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter
  • 2 ounces unsweetened chocolate
  • 3 large eggs
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 3/4 cup dark corn syrup
  • 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
  • 3 tablespoons bourbon 
    • ***This amount does allow you to really taste the bourbon in the pie- it's not overwhelming, but it's definitely there. If you don't think you'll like that flavor, maybe try it with 2 tbsp the first time.
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 11/2 cups pecan halves
- Preheat the oven to 350 deg.
- If using chocolate squares, melt the butter and chocolate in a small saucepan over medium-low heat, remove from heat and let cool. I actually have been using the pre-melted unsweetened chocolate packs. They are a real time saver in these types of recipes. If you're using those, you can just pop it in a bowl with the butter and put it in the microwave for about 30 seconds. Mix it up and you're good to go.



- Whip the eggs with a whisk in a large mixing bowl until frothy and then whisk in the sugar.
- Stir in the syrup, vanilla, bourbon, salt, and the melted butter/chocolate mixture until well blended.
-Arrange the pecans on the bottom of the pie crust and carefully pour the egg mixture over them.

-Bake until the filling is set and slightly puffed, about 45 minutes. **Keep an eye on the crust- mine got pretty brown about 35 minutes in, so I wrapped it gently in foil for the last 10 minutes.

- Transfer the pie to rack and cool completely before cutting- or at least try your hardest to wait until it's mostly cool....I made this pie a day in advance, so I just popped it in the fridge when it was cool. The next day, I took it out about an hour before dinner to let it come to room temp before cutting into it and enjoying the chocolatey, bourbon-y, pecan-y goodness.


1 comment:

  1. The chocolate is a lovely addition to this pecan pie, very nice.

    ReplyDelete