Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Quick post- egg drop soup yummm

 I've learned something interesting this week- attempting to completely write up a final thesis draft in a week and a half reallllllllly cuts down on my ability to blog.


Interesting.


It has also cut down on my will to cook, eat, and basically live.
But I will endeavor to persevere.


On top of it all, I have been sick the past 3 days. Awesome. So to cure myself (and retain my low-carb status), I undertook the mission of making myself some virtually carb-free but still uber-comforting homemade (mostly) egg drop soup. It took about 5 minutes.
Here's what I did:


Super Yummy Low-Carb Egg Drop Soup.


- 2 1/2 cups water
-2 tsp concentrated stock (I used chicken, you can go crazy and use veggie or beef...whatever)
  
***Before I move on, lets have a quick talk about bullion/stock. If you must use the little cubes, fine. I'm certainly not at home tossing chicken bones into a pot to make homemade stock. BUT if you can, I would recommend using concentrated products like Better than Bullion. They're still not perfect and not as good as the real stuff, but there is less sodium and they just taste better. Now back to our regularly scheduled program:

- about 1 1/2 tbsp chopped green onion
- 1 large crimini mushroom, sliced super thin (like they do the garlic on Goodfellas)
- a few drops of soy sauce (approx 1 tsp or more to taste)
-a few drops of sesame oil- just a few drops, otherwise the soup will have that oily feel to it
-somewhere between 1 and 3 eggs depending on your preference, beaten
**This is enough for 2 people- or 1 really hungry person



Boil the water in a pot, add the stock. Let it cook for a minute and then add the sesame oil and soy sauce. I don't like mine very salty so I only added a little soy. If you like more, put in more. It's your soup, do what you want.
Let it cook for another minute, then toss in the green onion and mushroom. Since the mushroom is so thin, it only takes a second to heat through. When the soup is back to a low boil, start pouring in the egg. The more you stir, the more the egg breaks up. If you like small bits, stir a lot. I like it with big bits, so I only stirred it a little. Once the egg has pretty much solidified, you're good to go.

I enjoyed it and I'm pretty sure it had healing properties (These claims have not been supported by the FDA).

Ok, hope you try this, I am off to try to make magic with swordfish and whatever we happen to have in the fridge- wish me luck!

2 comments:

  1. This looks great!!! I love egg drop soup but never thought I could make it at home!! You make cooking seem so easy and delicious!! =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete